Dominican tourism records record figures in November

0
171

Minister Collado highlighted that to date 73% of the non-residents received from January to November 2019 have been recovered.

The Minister of Tourism, David Collado, said this Sunday that the recovery of this sector is more than evident, registering the arrival of 4,263,259 non-resident visitors in the last eleven months of this year and a record of 519,349 only in November.

It reported that during the eleventh month of this year it registered an improvement of 197% compared to the same period of 2020, being 12% higher than November 2019, and even, positioning itself 7% above November 2018.

Minister Collado highlighted that to date 73% of the non-residents received from January to November 2019 have been recovered.

“Every time this process of recovery of our tourism is more solid and evident, as shown by these numbers that we present to you today,” said the official, who also predicted a “formidable” closure of this year with the arrival of tourists.

Details of the recovery of non-residents by air
The arrival of non-residents in 2021 was 82% of foreigners (424,560 non-residents who were not born in the Dominican Republic) and the remaining 18% of Dominicans (94,790 non-residents who were born in the Dominican Republic). Dominican).

The recovery of tourism was led at the beginning of 2021 by the absent Dominicans, who, since the end of 2020, were already beginning to arrive in the country at the same rate as they did in 2019. However, for the third consecutive month, the arrival of foreigners non-residents also show figures higher than those seen in the pre-pandemic era; In fact, in November 2021, the equivalent of 111% of the non-resident foreigners who arrived in November 2019 arrived.

By port of entry, the market share that the Punta Cana airport continues to gain stands out, which with 53% of the total arrivals of non-residents during November 2021, is 16% above the levels of November 2019. All three The main Dominican airports are recovered in terms of arrivals of non-residents (Punta Cana, Las Américas and El Cibao).

The international dismantling of immigration restrictions has contributed greatly to the recovery path of Dominican tourism. The arrival of foreigners residing in Canada has gone from being less than 1,000 passengers before July 2021, to climbing to more than 40,000 tourists in November 2021. This is how other countries stand out, which, with practically zero arrivals during restrictive migratory periods, have awakened notably ─Russia with more than 47,000 tourists and Germany with more than 22,000 tourists.

As a result of the above, the influx of tourists to the Dominican Republic has been diversifying in terms of issuing countries. In the summer of this year, tourists (non-resident foreigners) residing in the United States accounted for 70% of the total that entered the Dominican Republic, but in November 2021 this group of tourists was only 39%. This decrease is explained by the increase in foreigners residing in Russia (whose market share went from 1% to 11%), Canada (whose market share went from 1% to 10%), among other mainly European countries.

Characteristics of tourists by air – November 2021
60% of the tourists came from 3 different countries (United States 39%, Canada 11% and Russia 10%). The average stay of foreign tourists was 9 nights, mainly explained by Americans. On the other hand, the absent Dominicans registered a stay of 16 days, while that of the European tourists was 10 nights.

23% of the tourists who arrived in November 2021 were of American nationality, 61% stayed in hotels (73% of non-foreign residents stayed in hotels), and 53% arrived through Punta Cana.
Their behavior arrivals generated an estimated foreign exchange earnings of US $ 575 million.

Segmentation of foreign tourists in November 2021
32% of the non-resident foreigners received were made up of adults who traveled alone for an average of 9 nights, staying mainly in hotels (76%) in La Altagracia and El Gran Santo Domingo (69%) for recreation (82%).

On the other hand, adventurers represented 27% of the total, with an average stay of 9 nights, staying mainly in hotels (74%) in La Altagracia and El Gran Santo Domingo (77%) for recreation (83%).