TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – Multigenerational travel continues to be a growing trend with vacations including at least three generations — children, parents and grandparents. With affordable venues and activities that cater to a variety of interests, ages and budgets, Florida is the perfect place for multigenerational family vacations.
Below are just some of the destinations in the Sunshine State that make it easy for extended families to experience new places and create lasting memories together.
Embrace the Laid Back Island Life
- In Islamorada, the Theater of the Sea is one of the world’s oldest marine mammal facilities (established in 1946). Visitors can experience Atlantic bottlenose dolphins, California sea lions andparrots during live shows at this family-owned attraction. Its lagoons and lush tropical gardens are also home to sea turtles, tropical and game fish, sharks, stingrays, alligators, marine invertebrates and birds.
- For accommodations, the iconic Cheeca Lodge & Spa speaks for itself with its turquoise water, towering palms and calm breezes that offers world-class sportfishing for pops and livelyCampCheecafor kids.
Going the Extra Mile with Accessible Beach Towns
- Sunny Navarre Beach and Santa Rosa County strive to make everyone feel welcome with a variety of programs. The Navarre Beach Ambassador Program promotes the scenic destination and its well preserved landscapes and wildlife, all while informing visitors how to be good stewards, with beach roaming ambassadors that teach curious minds about the nesting shorebirds, resident sea turtles and beach flag safety.
- Introducing Beach Wheelchairs – In an effort to improve accessibility, Santa Rosa County has purchased two aquatic beach wheelchairs that are free and available to the public on a first come, first serve basis. The chairs feature wheels that are custom designed to roll over sand, dirt androcks. Other features include an umbrella, a mesh bag and cushion.
Discover Once in a Lifetime Experiences
- While riding horseback along the shores is the fantasy of many travelers, there are few vacation areas in the United States where it is possible. ive into deeper waters to try “horse surfing”- a vacation experience families will never forget. The Bradenton Area is the birthplace of horse surfing, which is offered in the calm waters of Palma Sola Bay.
Enjoy Sunrise Salutations and Sea Breeze
- Early birds and snowbirds! Get the worm in The Beaches of Fort Myers & Sanibel. Start the morning with family-friendly yoga at Millennial Brewings, where after class kids can run around and play on the free bounce house, while parents enjoy a brew to extend the morning relaxation.
- At Sanibel Sea School, families can engage with the area’s precious eco-systems and customize their own educational experience including land or boat-based programs, shelling excursions, and bird-watching tours.
- Families can take on a challenge at America’s #1 Sailing School, located at the Westin Cape Coral Resort. Travelers can embark on a 7-day Fast Track to Catamaran Cruising course, or take it easy on one of the resort’s rentable water vessels, including tandem kayaks, and “BBQ Donut Boats” (a barbecue-picnic table-boat all in one).
To access/download hi-resolution images of the Sunshine State, please click here.
About VISIT FLORIDA As the Sunshine State’s No. 1 industry, tourism was responsible for welcoming 126.1 million visitors in 2018. Based on the latest economic impact study, Florida visitors spent $108.8 billion and supported 1.4 million Florida jobs. According to the Office of Economic and Demographic Research, for every $1 the state invests in VISIT FLORIDA – the official tourism marketing corporation for the State of Florida – $3.20 in tax revenue is generated. VISIT FLORIDA promotes tourism to Florida through sales, advertising, promotions, public relations and visitor services programs. As a public/private partnership, VISIT FLORIDA serves more than 12,000 tourism industry businesses, including major strategic alliance partnerships with Busch Gardens Tampa, Disney Destinations, The Hertz Corporation, LEGOLAND Florida Resort, SeaWorld Parks & Resorts Orlando, Simon Shopping Destinations and Universal Orlando Resort. To learn more about VISIT FLORIDA, please go to VISITFLORIDA.org or follow us on our industry social media channels: Facebook and Twitter @FloridaTourism.